A visit to a country park is a great value day out and they often have activities and facilities for the whole family. Whether you go for a stroll or chase after the kids, you’ll fit some exercise into your day without even thinking about it!
Don't forget, if you sign up to #JoinMe you’ll be in with a chance of winning a year's membership or pass to one of the parks in Dorset.
Here's what the parks have to offer and links to the latest events:
Avon Heath Country Park
- A Treasure Trail which gets adults and kids out on a walk with a mission
- Wellbeing and Adventure walks with Dorset Nordic Walking
- Volunteering opportunities – get active whilst helping to clear pine and conserve the heathland
- Adventure play area for kids
Find the latest events at Avon Heath Country Park here.
Durlston Country Park
- Four Trails provide an ideal starting point for your exploration of Durlston. The Clifftop, Wildlife, Woodland and Victorian Trails are clearly waymarked, with good access.
- Dogs welcome on leads!
- Volunteering with the ‘Everyone Needs a Shed!’ project
- Could you add Thursday to the volunteer work parties as well as Tuesday and Wednesday
- Volunteer work parties every Tuesday and Wednesday - get fit as you help look after one of Britain’s best places for wildlife. Join a friendly volunteer group for a morning of practical conservation work.
- Amazing wildlife, history, geography and geology.
Find the latest events at Durlston Country Park here.
Moors Valley Country Park
Find the latest events at Moors Valley here.
Thorncombe Wood Local Nature Reserve
- 26 hectares of woodland and heathland to explore
- Adjacent to Hardy’s Cottage, the birthplace of Thomas Hardy – head to the visitor centre for activities and routes to discover
- Download these route maps for Thorncombe Wood Walkabouts
- Tackle the new orienteering course – download a map or use the Oriento app
- Wellbeing walks and wildlife wanders to book onto throughout the year
Find the latest events at Thorncombe Wood here.
Upton Country Park
- 160 acres of parkland, shoreline & formal estate gardens
- New children’s adventure play area opened in October 2019
- Parkrun (a free 5km run, walk or jog) takes place every Saturday at 9am – find out more
- Junior parkrun (a free 2km run for 4-14 year-olds) takes place every Sunday at 9am – find out more
- Excellent walking and cycling routes to, from and within the park
- Loads of paths and fields to walk your dog on- and off-lead, plus a dog wash in the car park!
- Give pétanque a try!
Find the latest events at Upton Country Park here.
Join me at the park!