What foods help burn belly fat?
Combine a good diet with regular exercise and you have a fat-burning recipe for success! A good diet is important in the pursuit of burning fat and there are specific foods that are good at this:
- Bananas: Bananas are an excellent source of potassium, a mineral can help limit the amount of sodium in your body, which can cause you to retain more water and build up fat.
- Avocados: Avocados contain loads of healthy mono-saturated fats that can help prevent blood sugar spikes that can cause your belly to bloat. Go easy though - while 75 per cent of the fats contained in avocados are good (unsaturated) fats the remainder are bad (saturated) fats!
- Berries: Berries contain antioxidants, which are great for weight loss as they improve your blood flow, delivering more oxygen to your muscles and making cardio easier, and are also less sugary than other fruits. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries - there’s a forest fruit of berries to choose from! You can even combine wild blackberry picking with some physical activity too!
- Yogurt: Unsweetened yogurt is great at preventing bloating as it encourages the growth of good bacteria in your gut that deal with nasty bugs, as well as helping to stabilise insulin levels in your body; so it’s particularly handy for people with diabetes.
- Whole Grains: Whole grains, as opposed to refined carbs found in white bread and rice, provide you with a slow burn of longer lasting energy. They are much more filling due to the fiber content and are also excellent at reducing insulin levels.
- Fish: Fish, including salmon, tuna and sardines, are filled with important omega-3s and protein, which helps to fill you up and promote muscle growth. A healthy, balanced diet should include two portions of fish per week.
- Nuts and Seeds: Unsalted nuts like peanuts, walnuts and almonds are full of healthy monounsaturated fats. Pumpkin and sunflower seeds provide lots of immune-boosting zinc, plant-based protein and fiber to keep you fuller for longer.
- Leafy Greens: Including foods like kale, spinach and cauliflower, leafy greens are chock full of minerals like potassium, which can help to offset the bloating effects of sodium, while being very low in calories.
These foods are some of the best for burning belly fat, as well as being vital components in a healthy, balanced diet. For a general look into your overall health, you can take our handy Are you Living Well? quiz to see how you compare to the national average.